Thursday, April 17, 2014

NBA Playoff Preview

Well that's it.  The NBA season is over some of us are rejoicing (Sixers, Bucks) some of us are still pissed (Knicks, Suns) although those two teams are for very different reasons and some of us have barely started paying attention (Heat).  However, the end of the regular season means we are A. one day closer to the playoffs, which is some of the most exciting basketball you can get and B. one day closer to the draft lottery which is one of the most exciting days of the year.  Today you'll only be getting one of those two things, because as I have been saying we aren't ready to release the NBA mock draft 1.0.  I am ready to give you the definitive guide to the NBA playoffs.  So without further ado we'll dive right in.

Round 1:
Indiana Pacers v. Atlanta Hawks

While the Hawks have played well over the last month or so, the Pacers have played pretty poorly.  In most sports that would spell a big upset, but this is the NBA and unless Paul George pulls a Derrick Rose, the Pacers will walk right through the Hawks. Pacers it is.

Chicago Bulls v. Washington Wizards

Everything in my body is saying take the Wizards, they're young, they're motivated and energized and, like, Derrick Rose though... So I will.  Wizards it is.  Thibs did a spectacular job with this team, losing D-Rose again would've been enough to cripple most teams, then they went ahead and took seemingly another step back by dealing Luol Deng.  In the next six weeks after the trade the Bulls went 14-7 and cleared a ton of cap space by releasing Andrew Bynum.  Well played, but no Luol Deng and no Derrick Rose smells like a loss to the Wizards.  Wiz crew it is.

Toronto Raptors v. Brooklyn Nets

This is a weird matchup because for some reason it feels like the Nets are the favorite.  They're hot, they have the bigger names, and they only lost four more games than the Raptors.  The Raptors were more consistent this year, but I think I'm going to have to go against my motto and pick upsets (at least as far as seeding is concerned) in the playoffs.  Nets it is.

Miami Heat v. Charlotte Bobcats

I'm not even going to waste my time here.  Heat it is.

San Antonio Spurs v. Dallas Mavericks

Before I get started, let me just say I hate the match ups in the Western Conference, there is just no winning here.  All fun teams (minus the spurs) and all but one have to go home.  Dallas is the 8 seed here, and they still had a better record than all but 2 teams in the Eastern Conference.  That's a little sad if you ask me.  Dallas has been good, all credit to Dirk and co. on a small bounce back year, but San Antonio went an entire month without losing a game this year, so there's that.  Spurs it is (barring Tim Duncan dying from old age).

Houston Rockets v. Portland Trailblazers

One of my least favorite match ups.  Mostly because I don't like the Rockets that much and because I have a tingly feeling in my Denver Nuggets for the Trailblazers.  That being said I know that the Rockets are dangerously good and that the Trailblazers look poised for an early exit.  That combined with the fact that Houston has the second best record at home this year and the Trailblazers are barely over .500 on the road spells disaster.  Houston it is.

Los Angeles Clippers v. Golden State Warriors.

This is by far my least favorite matchup.  No one wants to see Blake and CP3 go home in the first round, but I certainly don't want to see Shootin' Steph Curry leave yet either.  However, this isn't last year, and the home court advantage just isn't the same for the Warriors.  They were roughly the same at home and on the road and while that speaks volumes for their road toughness, it also says something about their inability to protect home court.  Clippers it is.

Oklahoma City Thunder v. Memphis Grizzlies

I know, I know.  Memphis has a history of knocking off high seeds that looked very good in the regular season.  Well I've got news for you, the Thunder didn't look that good in the regular season and they still won 59 games.  Not to mention they've got the scoring champion and Russell Westbrook who is probably a top 5 player on many "experts" lists.  Thunder it is.

I'll spare you from having to read anymore about the playoffs for now. We'll save the round 2 predictions for round 2.

P.S. Feel free to make bets using these predictions because they're not actually predictions.  They are, in fact, actual things that have not yet happened, but I can predict because I have the gift of foresight and choose to share it.  You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment