Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The National Collegiate Asshole Association (NCAA)


I'm going to start this blog by sarcastically clapping.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way I'm going to spend the next several hundred characters berating the NCAA.  All of the news flying around the NCAA lately has been about the unionization of Northwestern's football team (huge news).  This, once again, sparked the pay-for-play debate.  While there are valid points on both sides (I would like to admit that I am against paying collegiate athletes) the NCAA has blundered through this entire process.  Initially they said there was no way that collegiate "student-athletes" would be paid for their services.  Then after several of the more outspoken pro-pay advocates (see Jay Bilas' twitter account) they began to take some serious heat.  Then there was the Grambling State debacle which gave bad publicity to the NCAA for not taking care of their players.

Most recently the Northwestern case has taken this argument to a whole other level.  Now the judicial system is involved and is giving credence to the pay-for-play argument.  So how does the NCAA respond? By giving the players unlimited food and snacks.  Well golly, that'll just solve everything.  The NCAA really knows how to take care of their problems.  Instead of giving them what they want and are asking for they decided to simply feed their players properly and hope that solves all their issues. Wait what's that?  You said that only D1 athletes are allowed free food?  Well that's confusing because it seems that the NCAA is frequently pushing the "I Chose Division 2" motto around.  This seems pretty contradictory, and in fact quite hypocritical, of the NCAA.  And just think, at one point I wanted to be a D2 athlete.  Well I'm very glad I'm not now.  I can go home to cosmic brownies in my closet and wash them down with as many cold glasses of milk as I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment